Monday, May 30, 2011

With Apologies to Blue Oyster Cult

In Feb. '10 I was working a paper route*, so I listened to the morning radio shows a lot.  The localest station was running call in contests for tickets to a BOC concert, and one day I thought I had the answer.  I usually dont call in myself, but nobody was getting the right answer (made up by the djs), so before I turned off my car to go in the house I decided what the hey, give them a ring.

The question was "What winter olympic sport would men like to see Lindsay Vaughn compete in?".  I got through, that itself being an achievement because the lines are usually tied when they run these contests, and gave my answer.

"Cross cunt-try."

Everyone in the room busted up laughing (including the stand up comedian guest dj), and when they finally regained composure the main guy said "Wow, that's not the right answer but I gotta give it to you just for that."

Fast forward a month to the day of the show.  I go to pick my brother up from his college having gotten no sleep since 3 am (and I had only a few hours of sleep before that).  The lack of sleep and greasiness of the food we ate (cheesesteaks, made by PA dutch locals) made the drive back a little uncomfortable.  We got home at threeish, I decided not to take a power nap and left for the concert at 7.  The opening bands were terrible, and the whole time we were saying "free tickets" in our heads.  Finally, a screen comes down and plays the cowbell sketch from SNL, and after that BOC starts playing.  By this time we had maneuvered to the near front and were parked right in front of a speaker.  I was in physical agony, and being brown-noted like no other.  Unable to take anymore, I peace for the bathroom.

This being my first time in that particular club, I had no idea where to go.  I went down some stairs and asked a girl where the bathrooms were, and she said "upstairs".  I didn't know how far upstairs (in hindsight, it was quite obvious, but I was also a little intoxicated), so I went all the way up.  I found myself in a small room with a bathroom, and just wanting to get some relief I dove in and went to town.

After some epic abdominal pain followed by indescribable bliss (all set to Godzilla, which was awesome), I left the bathroom and got my first real look at the place I had found.  Liquor bottles and food was scattered about, and I realized that it was the hospitality suite.  And the bathroom fan was weak.  And their show was almost over.  So, I quickly flew down the stairs, unnoticed, and got lost in the crowd.  I got to see Dont Fear the Reaper and Burnin for You, so I was at least present for the songs I know well.

I never heard anything about it, and they probably never noticed or blamed it on an employee.  Either way, I just want to say that I am sorry to the band and the establishment (Croc Rock) for any inconveniences.

*Worst job ever.  I did the math and I was getting payed $3-5/hour, as well as the havoc that it wreaked upon my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment